Getting your home ready for market can be a lot of work. But when it’s done right, the rewards can really pay off. When I tour a home of a seller client, I always give advice on what could be done to increase their chances of a quick sale and a favorable price. Although I frequently recommend “to do’s” that are specific to the seller’s home, here are some general home prep tips I always suggest. The more items you can tackle on this list the better because a clean, tidy and organized home is key to getting your home sold!
Declutter, Deodorize, Sanitize, Organize
- Remove most items from kitchen counters (blenders, coffee maker, block of knives, toaster, etc.)
- Remove clutter from bathroom counters (tooth brush holder, bar of used soap, make up, lotion dispensers, etc.)
- Remove smoke odor, pet odors and pet stains.
- Give your home a deep clean or have it professionally cleaned.
- Wipe down range, microwave, refrigerator and dishwasher inside and out
- Clean out and organize closets. If closets are too packed, it will appear storage is an issue.
- If you need a professional organizer to help you declutter, let me know.
- Remove personal photos, objects, sentimental or valuable items. It’s best to de-personalize a home so buyers can envision living there.
- Take away (or lock up) prescription meds, financial papers and electronic devices—ipads, ipods, laptops, portable speakers, etc.
- Make sure all the doors, windows, cabinet doors, etc. are in working order. No broken windowpanes, doors falling off hinges, or missing hardware.
- Paint can make a huge difference. It instantly updates a home and is worth the cost, especially if the existing paint is dated or in bad shape. If picking out a new paint color is not your forte, I can help select new paint colors.
- Changing out light fixtures is an easy way to update any room—especially the kitchen, dining room and bathrooms fixtures. Light fixtures can be stylish yet inexpensive. I’m happy to recommend a few options.
- Cleaning the windows is often overlooked but it makes such a big difference! Consider having your windows professionally cleaned inside and out.